—“Aristocracy creates sovereignty*: the prevention of monopoly by the enforcement of markets.”— James Augustus Berens
1) SOVEREIGNTY (leads to)
2) PROPERTY IN TOTO (leads to)
3) TESTIMONIAL TRUTH (leads to)
4) DEFLATIONARY/DECONFLATIONARY, (leads to)
5) REASON, RATIONALISM, EMPIRICISM, TESTIMONIALISM (leads to)
6) MARKETS IN EVERYTHING, (leads to)
7) DEFEATING THE RED QUEEN (leads to)
0) THE BIRTH OF THE WEST: SOVEREIGNTY.
1) RELIGION: THE FIRST INFANTILIZATION OF THE INDO-EUROPEANS.
(corrected with aristotelian reason, stoic and roman law)
2) CHRISTIANITY: THE FIRST INFANTILIZATION OF THE WESTERN INDO-EUROPEANS
(corrected with empiricism, and anglo common law)
3) COSMOPOLITANISM: THE SECOND INFANTILIZATION OF THE WEST. AND THE NEW WEST.
(corrected with testimonialism, and propertarian natural law)
WHY IS IT WE MUST DE-INFANTILIZE MAN IN EVERY GREAT ERA?
—“The Western peoples transferred, or rather limited, the universal drive to find and exploit high yield, low investment, low maintenance sources of energy from other people (“parasitism”) to immediately and personally moveable resources including your own body and everything it produces (“industry”). Turns out that’s the only scalable solution.”—Moritz Bierling
Q&A: ARISTOCRACY VS OLIGARCHY
—“What are the features that distinguish aristocracy and oligarchy?”— William Butchman
An aristocracy preserves a judge of last resort (monarch).
You can kill a monarch and change the judge of last resort.
It is much harder to kill an oligarchy (group).
It is much harder to kill a government (larger group)
it is much harder to kill a bureaucracy ( larger group )
An oligarchy subverts the market (rule of law) by use of:
The defense against an oligarchy is a judiciary that rules by productive fully informed, warrantied, voluntary transfer limited to productive externalities.
Most oligarchies persist only because they violate one or more of the provisions of natural law. Most commonly: productivity.
In other words competition in the market and prosecution in court are EQUALLY necessary methods of preserving sovereignty by the suppression of parasitism, and the demand for sovereign transfer, in a market for opportunities, rather than in a market for rents, where the market for opportunities is made possible by nothing more than an increase in population density and an increase in the suppression of parasitism.
TO RULE ARISTOCRATICALLY IS TO LIMIT NOT TO DIRECT. WE MUST RULE, OR BE RULED. WE FORGOT. WE ARE MEN. WE MUST RULE.
Nov 18, 2016 3:07pm
TO BE A EUROPEAN IS TO PRACTICE PAGANISM:
1 – Aristotelian Reason, Science, and Truth (science)
2 – English, Roman, and Stoic Natural Law (law)
3 – The Lives of the Great Men (history)
4 – The Literature of the Great Books (literature)
5 – The Ideas of the Great Philosophers (philosophy)
6 – The Parables of the Saints and Prophets (religion)
7 – The Myths and Legends of Pagan Warriors (myth)
We have always been, and always will be, a PAGAN people.
We permit no conflation. Because any conflation breeds a monopoly.
And we permit no monopoly. Becuase we are the people who practice sovereignty.
And sovereignty can exist only under markets, not monopoly.
And the secular socialist state seeks to deprive us of sovereignty by delivering us to monopoly.
European Paganism Consists of Different Forms Of Reasoning
PRECISE CASES (Deciding Class)
GENERAL RULES (Organizing Classes)
BROAD ANALOGIES (Working Classes)
We can restore the west’s evolutionary trajectory as the principle source of mankind’s innovation, restore our people and our civilization, and overthrow a century and a half of pseudoscience, by restoring to the common law the organizing principle of sovereignty – and consequential markets in everything, with just one law: truthful speech by the involuntary warranty of due diligence against error, bias, suggestion, obscurantism, pseudoscience and deceit, for the purpose of circumventing a voluntary, fully informed, warrantied, voluntary exchange, limited to productive externalities, by the imposition of costs against property in toto: that broad spectrum of things, relationships, behaviors, and commons, which we have borne costs to inventory, without imposing costs upon the things, behaviors, and commons of others.
This warranty is achieved by proofs (demonstrations) of consistency in 1) categorical consistency, 2) internal consistency, 3) empirical consistency, 4) existential consistency, 5) moral consistency, 6) scope consistency. And while it might take a small effort to learn how to provide these warranties on all information, just as we have learned to provide warranties on products, warranties on services, and limited warranties on the reporting of basic research, we can complete the scientific method and require these proofs on all information.
In every era we invent new expansions of the method of cooperation we call the division of perception, cognition, knowledge, labor, and advocacy. But in doing so we create greater asymmetries of knowledge, and therefore new opportunities to invent means of benefitting from the imposition of costs upon others that we call ‘parasitism’. And we rely upon courts, testimony, jury, judge, empirical truth, and the accumulated empirical knowledge of the common law of torts, to incrementally suppress and render illegal each innovation in parasitism as soon as the first case adjudicated is recorded for reference by other lawyers, prosecutors, and judges.
The west was not first, nor wealthiest, nor possessed of greater numbers, superior resources, superior climate. But instead, by accident of circumstance, chose Sovereignty as their principle of organization – a choice which is possible only under empirical, testimonial speech we call ‘truth’, and a market for the resolution of any negotiation, exchange, or conflict – depriving all of authority over anything other than the preservation of sovereignty. Europeans created the distributed dictatorship of sovereign men, open to any man willing and able to reciprocally insure every other against violations of his sovereignty.
This choice resulted in a civilization that calculates advancements faster than all other organizing models, and produces the least opportunity for parasitism and rents. And it is this velocity in the ancient and modern worlds that has allowed the west to defeat the red queen of corruption, and drag mankind kicking and screaming out of ignorance, superstition, mysticism, justificationism, conflationism, deception, hunger, poverty, physical labor, cellular decay, disease, and increasingly, the vicissitudes of nature, in an unforgiving universe hostile to life in all but the rarest of exceptions.
We have been misled to thinking that ‘religion’ requires superstition. But that idea is a product of the authoritarian dogma created by the church under christianity. It’s simply not true.
DECONFLATED, RELIGION CONSISTS OF:
1) Narrative: historical, mythical, supernatural
2) Metaphysical Judgments: (in many forms)
3) Group Evolutionary Strategy: (in many forms )
4) Normative Rules: (in many forms)
5) Registries of Familial Property (birth, maturity, marriage, death)
5) Rituals both private and public: (mindfulness in its forms)
6) Feasts, Sports, Arts, and Festivals:(in their many forms)
RELIGION ‘WORKS’ BY:
1 – providing some variation on ‘mindfulness’ in which we can escape the problem of being honest with ourselves independently of all our accumulated intuitions and biases.
2 – Forming associations between the ‘pack-response’ and group participation, and eliminating the problem of stress from post-tribal life’s lack of feedback, thereby extending trust bonds across kin groups, class groups, and market groups, which decreases transaction costs of all kinds in all walks of life.
3 – Establishing normative rules for familial and cross familial behavior, that made (and continue to) reduce natural frictions between genetic variations in gender, class, tribe, race that (truthfully) translate in to different demands for association, reproduction, economic cooperation, and rule – and the status seeking that affects each of those demands, dramatically.
THE FUNCTIONAL PROBLEM OF WESTERN RELIGION
1 – Separation of education and religion
…….. – The failure of religions to reform in response to the scientific enlightenment.
…….. – The failure of religions to reform in response to Darwin.
…….. – The Academy’s seizure of the functions of the church upon the failure of the church to reform.
…….. – The End of western separation and competition between Religion and State by the adoption of the synthesis of jewish cosmopolitan and puritan postmodern by the State, Academy, Media complex the current generation of thinkers refers to as “The Cathedral Complex”, or just “The Cathedral” for short.
…….. – The beginning of state financed New Indulgences (we call them ‘college diplomas’) that promise a middle or upper class level of consumption instead of forgiveness of sins and entry into heaven – when the postwar economic boom that made possible the rapid expansion of the consumer class was just a temporary product of the combined tragedies of the Great European Civil War’s destruction of centuries of accumulated production capacity, plus the destruction of, and delay of expansion of, world production caused by the movement we call world communism (and now, its inheritor, world islamism).
2 – the academy seized control of the commercial education and the ‘religious’ education (liberalism), but failed to seize familial education – and in most cases, assisted the state in the destruction first of black families, then white families, and now all families, in order to (a) provide women with child care (schooling), force them into the labor pool (feminism), and then consume the entire proceeds of women’s labor so that the war and boomer generation could retire early and lie on the next generation’s labor, and then immigrating third world labor to provide cheap labor (social programs) that cannot replace the prior generation because of lesser aggregate abilities. The family destruction was increased by attempt to create a mobile workflorce and thereby deprive women of the multi-generational support necessary to raise more than one child without exhaustion. And now it is impossible for women to return to child bearing and child rearing because of the tax demands placed upon their earnings by the immigration of underclasses and the dependency of the aged yet healthy enough to work.
3 – The state sponsored secular ‘religion’ that we currently teach is pseudoscientific (false, and dishonest), where the content of christian religion (the extension of kinship forgiveness to non kin) was ‘true’ but conveyed by nonsense and authoritarianism.
4 – One of the unstated drivers for the current conflict in america is not just the decline of the white population and the ascent of the colored cities, but because science has caught up and since 1990 has been aggressively disproving the universalist, globalist, equalitarian democratic secular socialist religion. And those who are aware of this are … angry … and full of conviction that their traditions and intuitions were correct. Therefore they feel betrayed and deceived.
THE WEST HAS ALWAYS BEEN POLYTHEISTIC
While it is the secret to the west’s competitive advantage, we are sometimes misled by our (false) historical narrative: The west never engaged in conflation, by creating ‘one book’ so to speak. We have always had:
1) Law (limits) for the Ruling (fathering) Classes,
2) Commerce (pragmatism) for the producing classes.
2) Religion (utopianism) for Science / pseudoscience, philosophy / pseudorationalism, and Theology / fraud for the Educating (mothering) classes (church/academy).
And have always maintained the three estates of the realm using the three methods of coercion
1) Law/Limits: Force / ostracization from movement/ resources / life itself.
2) Exchange/Utility: Payment / Remuneration / Ostracization from consumption.
3) Religion: Gossip / Rallying / Shaming / Ostracization from opportunity for insurance from the tribe.
THE WEST’S ADMINISTRATIVE RELIGION IS THE COMMON SOVEREIGN INDO-EUROPEAN/ARISTOCRATIC/ANGLO SAXON LAW, AND ITS PRIEST’S ARE OUR JUDGES
Reason, empiricism, science, and now ‘testimonialism’ (the completion of the scientific method) all evolved out of western empirical common law.
There is no reason our founding myths:
1) Homer, takes of kings, princes and princesses: the germanic myths, legends, and fairy tales;
2) History and the lives of the great thinkers;
3) the tales of jesus and the saints;
Cannot be taught as ‘religion’ and their contributions celebrated.
RELIGION IS NECESSARY FOR EVOLUTIONARY REASONS, BUT SUPERSTITION, PSEUDO-RATIONALISM, PSEUDOSCIENCE, CONFLATION AND DECEPTION ARE NOT.
THE CYCLE OF REVOLUTIONS (TRUTHS) AND COUNTER REVOLUTIONS (LIES)
1) REVOLUTION: The invention of aristocracy (horse, bronze, wheel).
COUNTER-REVOLUTION: organized conflationary superstitious advisory religion.
2) REVOLUTION: The invention of truth, reason, deconflation, competition.
COUNTER-REVOLUTION: Conflationary Monotheistic Authoritarian Religion
3) REVOLUTION: Empricism
– French Pseudoscientific Moralism: Rousseau et al.
– Russian literary nihilism.
– German pseudorational philosophy.
4) REVOLUTION: Science: Darwin (evolution), spencer (operationalism), poincare(mathematical realism), maxwell (electromagnetism), nietzche(restoratino of aristocratic aesthetics)
– Jewish Cosmopolitan Pseudoscience: Boaz (anthropology), Marx (economics and sociology: cooperation), Freud (psychology), Adorno et al (Aesthetics).
0) THE BIRTH OF THE WEST: SOVEREIGNTY.
1) RELIGION: THE FIRST INFANTILIZATION OF THE INDO-EUROPEANS.
(corrected with aristotelian reason, stoic and roman law)
2) CHRISTIANITY: THE FIRST INFANTILIZATION OF THE WESTERN INDO-EUROPEANS
(corrected with empiricism, and anglo common law)
3) COSMOPOLITANISM: THE SECOND INFANTILIZATION OF THE WEST. AND THE NEW WEST.
(corrected with testimonialism, and propertarian natural law)
WHY IS IT WE MUST DE-INFANTILIZE MAN IN EVERY GREAT ERA?
1) SOVEREIGNTY (leads to)
2) MARKETS IN EVERYTHING, (leads to)
3) DEFLATIONARY/DECONFLATIONARY, (leads to)
4) REASON, RATIONALISM, EMPIRICISM, TESTIMONIALISM (leads to)
5) TRUTH: PERFECT PARSIMONY (leads to)
—“You will not find some emotional appeal for heroism therein. Heroism is not mere emotionalism, but a state of deep detachment, the sovereign psychology.”— Josh.
Thats dominance, not heroism. That’s Excellence as an expression of dominance.
Heroism cannot exist without a commons to benefit from the hero.
- It may be true that heroism is merely the reward for dominance on behalf of the tribe.
- It may be true that heroic status is merely compensation for breaking the ingroup moral bias against what would otherwise be interpreted as ‘dangerous’ displays of dominance. In other words, it may be true that heroism is a means of insuring the dominant that they will be free of retribution by ingroup members, by reversing the prohibition on dominance.
- It may be excuse making by the population as a means of defense against dangerous displays of dominance.
- You might be correct in that its dominance not heroism that inspires, and heroic status is merely a reward.
- You might be correct in that heroism provides training for the young in the appropriate uses of dominance. (This is my interpretation).
In this sense your statement is correct: That 1) we seek to be free of the evolutionary norm that inhibits our desire for alpha dominance, and 2) that heroism is a normative institution that justifies the mature, and incentivizes the young, and limits uses and abuses to those that benefit the commons (ingroup members).
But you cannot conflate heroism, with dominance as you have done above.
So since dominance exists in all cultures, but only the west has constructed a (universal) heroic society, where the incentive to apply dominance is constantly rewarded, and heroism is a pedagogical means of channeling it to good uses, and punishing it for bad uses, then I think we can come to agreement.
It just took me overnight to think it through. I knew you were not so much wrong as not using the right language because conflation is natural to you, but if we agree that heroism is value/virtue that we train so that we do not need to suppress dominance, but instead, FOCUS dominance, so that we are a more competitive ‘tribe’ then I think we can agree that almost all men of ability seek to excercise their dominance just as much as a beautiful woman seeks to exercise hers so to speak.
If you had not written this post I would not have been able to put this question in to words, so yet again, I have to thank you for your insights and criticism, which over the past few years has been extremely helpful and influential.
I guess in this sense, the heroic tradition is our central ‘teaching’. “Your dominance is an asset to the tribe so long as it is channeled for the tribe’s benefit. And if we channel all our men’s dominance rather than suppress it, then we are concentrating a scarce and valuable resource into a constant evolutionary cycle.”
This plays into the argument that we develop faster than the rest because we do not seek to limit our people by limiting what they can do, only limiting what they cannot do. Most tribes do the opposite: they create rules of repetitive conduct (for stupid creatures) that focus effort in static directions, rather than focusing efforts of men in innovative and creative directions.
So through heroism (training for competition) and through dominance, and reward for ‘good cunning’ and punishment for ‘bad cunning’, and through the enfranchisement of all who will fight, we create a constant stream of predators at-the-ready in constant competition with one another, producing constant innovations in war, politics, industry, family, craft, and arts.
And this is why heroism (encouraging the mastery of dominance) is so effective a strategy: it creates a market (calculator) for excellence in dominance.
The Propertarian Institute
— Original Post from Josh —
After studying Aryan traditions more, it’s become increasingly clear to me what I was always suspecting would happen.
You will not find some emotional appeal for heroism therein. Heroism is not mere emotionalism, but a state of deep detachment, the sovereign psychology.
I understand you want methods for class collaboration; you want inspiration for the working class, but the Aryan mind doesn’t play that game. Such appeals to emotionalism would themselves lead to petty attachment.
Instead, this mind simply does what is necessary—katam karaniyam—without regret, hesitation, or feeling. This impersonal action would also concern policing the classes, but any downward inspiration would be indirect and secondary.
Thus, very much opposite of considering the ancient Aryan traditions as silly hokum for the less bright, they were the highest form of consciousness and represent the missing raison d’être that was plaguing your scientistic system.
Regarding what we do to inspire the working class, we can consult Evola and Nietzsche, who both believed these men of lesser consciousness (the telluric, the lunar, the Catholic) inherently can only behold these higher states in fractured ways, as separated salvationist divinities, and the avatars of these divinities are heroic men past and present.
So, this would be the skeleton of my synthesis and how I solve your problem. Catholic Traditionalism, as it did at the time, can be a method of organizing women and lower men around higher men, but it’s very important to understand that that isn’t the only spiritual dynamic going on. It won’t work if that’s all you have; the lower classes will orient around their myopic perception of spirituality if there isn’t authentic divinity in their presence, which requires the heroic, which is only produced by the Olympian, which is as I said the missing “soul” of your system.
So, being that some of this isn’t your first choice of study, I’ll recap:
1: Aryan traditions are not an appeal to the lower classes, but are the ‘why’ of why someone would commit themselves to the heroic ‘aristocratic’ deeds (deep sovereignty, authenticity, detachment).
2: There are grades of ‘spirits’ in Evola’s work, just as Nietzsche theorized personhood was inherently an aristocratic phenomenon, with few people possessing deep authenticity. Understanding this, if we want to know what interfaces with the lower tiers, we must study the spiritual schools that occur there (telluric animism < lunar salvationism < Catholic Traditionalism < Olympian Aryan).
3: The main takeaway for you is that the Aryan traditions are not mere tools for your scientistic system, but the very psychology that animates its most involved functions, which is why it’s not accurate to even look at these traditions as ‘religions’, really. They aren’t escapist or Platonic, but completely holistic. For an expansion on that, I’ll use Jünger’s brother.
—“It was precisely this domestication of men and women into family units that propelled Europeans forward. That the Germans were more monogamously disciplined than the Celts is why they went on to be the source of Northern European success, more so than the Irish. The eugenic footprint can be seen even to this day.”— Josh Jeppson
THE WEST’S OTHER FIRE: THE FIRE OF THE MIND: “TRUTH”
Prometheus may have stolen fire. But we gave mankind the Fire of The Mind: Truth.
And from the Fire of the Mind, we gave mankind debate, reason, rationalism, science, physics, medicine, and testimonialism. We gave him testimony, the jury, natural law, the common law, the independent judiciary, the constitutional order: the contractual-order of mankind.
To hell with equality and those who appeal to it – it’s a deceit by the weak to return us to dysgenic barbarism. We domesticated the human animal, and raised him from mysticism, ignorance, poverty, starvation and disease.
We domesticated man through the incremental suppression of his natural parasitism, leaving productive, fully informed, warrantied, voluntary exchange in the market as his only possible method of survival: survival through the service of others. Using the common law, we changed the behavior of those we could. And we hung those we could not. And we built walls and armies to resist those who wish otherwise.
We have no equals. We either rule or are ruled by and preyed upon by our inferiors, who, by their sheer numbers, like locusts, are parasites upon this earth, that with every birth, prevent man from achievement of his promise: godhood.
Kill them all. Revel in your defense of man from another dark age of dysgenia, mysticism, ignorance, and suffering.
The Universal, Reciprocal, Insurance, of Sovereignty To All Who Will Take the Oath.
“I will fight for your sovereignty if you will fight for mine.”
Brothers in arms first.
Our People Third.
That’s why the west is best.
Trust let us evolve faster than the rest.
Trust creates economic velocity, technical velocity, and martial agility.
Q&A: “Curt: How would you compare the merits of the British civilization viz a viz the accomplishments of the ancient Greek civilization?”
The Aegean vs The North Sea
Reason vs Empiricism
Slave-hold Manors vs Manorialism
Athens/Sparta vs England/Germany
Rome vs the United States
Bronze vs steel
Trireme vs warship
In other words, there isnt any difference.
Athens and sparta exahusted each other leaving rome like england and germany exhausted each other leaving america.
The question is whether we spend another thousand years trying to restore our civilization, or we do it today.
WHO PUT THE WEST IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION? WE KNOW ALREADY. …. WE DID. AT OUR BIRTH.
Aug 22, 2016 5:29pm
(here is the narrative you’re looking for)
1) The origins of the uniqueness of western civilization are something we have known for nearly a century. On the steppes of Ukraine, (now southern Russia), our ancestors led verbal, contractual, historical, tradition, focused on listening to testimony (story telling), possessing myths, but lacking authoritarian symbolism, idols, or mysticism. They were typical of the indo european people.
2) With the unification of the horse, wheel, and bronze, these pig, sheep, and goat herders, turned to raiding and dropped the peaceful and cooperative mythology and adopted the aggressive warrior mythology. thus dividing the indo-european peoples. The heroic age was born. The other tribes responded by creating ‘religion’ from mythology as a *resistance movement*. Some groups later used religion as the first legal system, and then later, for greater ‘precision’ in homogenizing punishments and crimes, created more precise ‘law’.
3) These conquerors spread in all directions, forced by tribal competition to adopt the new technologies just as all other military technologies have since been adopted out of necessity.
4) Each of the three major branches, northern and western aryans (Europeans), southern aryans (Iranians), and eastern aryans(Indians), (we do not know what happened to those people in the far east yet other than that they appear to be gone), used the new technology to rule their own people, and if possible or necessary to gain good territory, to conquer and rule other peoples, and then extract taxation to pay for the high cost of bronze, horse, and wheel.
5) This ruling caste succeeded in conquering everything within the european and asian plains from Asia to Spain, and as far south as Egypt.
6) They used manorialism, and serfdom to cause upward redistribution of reproduction from the underclasses to the middle and upper classes – if we can somehow stretch the meaning of middle class back into those eras. And they used war, winters, taxation, and aggressive punishment to cull troublemakers – even enforcing late marriage. The consequence was a reduction in the ratio of the unproductive underclasses to the productive classes. We call this ‘domestication’ when we refer to plants and animals, but we call it ‘oppression’ when we do it to humans. But these people applied domestication to man with the same passion that they did to their herds.
6) In those places where they were most successful because of less territorial competition (Europe), they maintained the contractualism between the peerage (aristocracy) and maintained egalitarian meritocracy(those who fight earned rights), and the prohibition on the concentration of power in any of them.
7) The Greeks, Hittites, Romans, and Celts all practiced this same contractualism, sovereignty, heroic ethic, and aristocratic egalitarianism by merit. Conversely the fertile crescent did not since their chief problem was using propaganda to organize large populations in concert with the flood cycle. And by the time the Axial Age hit China, the aristocracy and peasantry were already formed, and ritual developed as a means of controlling the tendency of the aristocracy to exhaust production for their feasts. So they maintained authority, and the Crescent maintained authority. while the european branch of the aryans maintained contratualism meritoratic egalitarianism, and personal, heroic, sovereignty.
8) When martial men, members of an initiatic brotherhood of warriors, whether normative, legal, or ritualistic, must negotiate they rely upon martial epistemology (empiricism) and hold to the sacredness of truth (testimony) and contract if for no other reason than in battle one can bear very high costs of error, optimism, betrayal and dishonesty. These men negotiate and argue their positions and the headman (general, chieftain, or king) judges and chooses from the different arguments presented. It is this testimonial, argumentative, debate, from which reason and eventually aristotelian ‘science’ takes it’s origins.
9) The Romans adopted greek thinking, but not greek rhetoric since they thought it full of what we would consider to day ‘weasel words’ and so they favored ‘plain speech’. So they adopted stoic natural law as their inspiration, not greek politicized speech. Moving man closer to empiricism.
10) There are only three ways of coercing man, and we evolved all three of them: religious inclusion or exclusion, legal punishment and liberty, credit consumption or deprivation. We can control people through religion, law, and credit. Religion is a loose method of control, law a precise but limited, and credit an individualistic method of control. But each also has different cost structure. Religion is cheap, law requires a tax structure to finance it, and credit requires elaborate institutions and high trust between credit issuers. The same is true for education: literacy is expensive, numbers more so, law more so, and philosophy even more so. So the combination of resisting the germanic migrations, the exhaustion of the slave economy, the Justinian plague, the loss of the north african grains to the muslims, and centuries of raiding against the mediterranean, the Agaean/Mediterranian civilization could not compete any more than the prior dark age could compete against the sea peoples who are most likely a migrating wave of our ancestors. So the church was able to govern, but only by imposing christianity by force, closing the stoic and greek schools, and allowing the empire to devolve into thousands of regional manors each defending what it could, with its own resources. Religion is cheap if imprecise government. The church ruled with literacy, and diplomacy, and superstition, where rome had ruled with religious liberty, law, and credit.
11) The Europeans try to resurrect Roman law once they rediscovered it. The Templars come along and develop the first system of international credit but the Pope, knowing his brother was deeply in debt to the Templars, framed them in the hope of rescuing his brother from the debt, and possibly claiming the Templar holdings for the church. However, the Pope didn’t understand banking: money is always at work or it is useless and he destroyed the Templars and banking, leaving the Jews – who unlike the Templars – were weak, to fill the void in the market for credit. But as we know now, there was no gold not working in Templar hands.
12) About the same time two things occur: the British lawyer Bacon, arrived with his invention of empiricism – a novel invention over Aristotelian near-science. And the formation of the Hanseatic civilization we refer to by many names (Germanic, Protestant, Northern European), but was caused by the adoption by the Frisians of bipartite manorialism, which was the most eugenic economic system in the history of man. This spread throughout northern Europe, starting in about 700, and by 1200 had changed the genetics culture, and economy of what we think of as northern Europe. The Hansa bridged the mediterranean trade overland, and by sea, and the north sea then replaced the Aegean/mediterranean economy as the dominant economic force in Europe until the colonies were discovered, and like the alliance between Sparta(Germany), Athens (Britain) and Rome(America) the atlantic became the mediterranean of the ancient world. And the balance of power shifted from the Hansa to the west, while than Hansa continued to spread German genes, culture, and economy to the east. Each carrying with them the ancient aryan tradition of contractualism we think of as the tales of George Washington’s honesty here in America. A character more underrated in history than nearly any man but Bacon.
13) When Jefferson put pen to paper he did not know that he almost succeeded in developing strictly constructed law from the first principle of the natural law of contractualism. Had he, we would have seen the birth of scientific government: natural, judge discovered, strictly constructed, operationally testable, common law. Had he done so the Enlightenment might have been completed. Not having done so we had to endure the French, Russian, German, and Cosmopolitan enlightenments, and like waves of disasters each caused catastrophic damage to the west. English empiricism was correct, but the theory of man as an oppressed potential aristocracy of everyone was false. French moralism was incorrect and merely an excuse to replace one set of rulers with another, creating the terrors, and ending France’s contribution to western civilization. The German reaction to Napolean destroyed the heart of Europe by unifying princedoms that preserved our martial and oath traditions. The cosmopolitan Enlightenment was terrified by the Darwinian an capitalist revolutions, and created the pseudosciences of Boazian anthropology, marxist economics and sociology, and freudian psychology, and Frankfurtian cultural critique – even Cantorian mathematical platonism. The Russian took the french and the german and the cosmopolitan (Jews) and created the horrors of bolshevism, trotskyism, and the soviets, and ended the Russian Enlightenment which prior, had been literary and orthodox, and made it pseudoscientific. This movement, threatened in europe moved to New York and was funded by Columbia University, resulting the adoption of these pseudosciences by the academy newly willing to sell them to new underclasses finally having access to education. Not knowing they were being taught the same deceitful resistance movement to aristocracy and truth using pseudoscience and pseudorationalism and fabricated history and cultural criticism that their ancestors had been taught as ‘religion’.
14) At the beginning of the last century a gruop of thinkers understood that the world was being converted to a pseudoscientific religion of rebellion against the truth, to replace the prior era’s conversion to mysticism as a rebellion against the truth. These men unfortunately did not come to any consensus on how to solve the problem of the new mysticism masquerading as pseudorationalism, pseudoscience, and mathematical platonism, Poincare raised the battle flag, then Mises in economics, Hayek in law, Popper in philosophy,
WHAT MADE US THE WEST, SO DIFFERENT FROM THE REST?
What made the west the west originated on the steppe, north and east of the black sea, where sometime after the great deluge, a group of people developed a purely empirical mind, absent the dreams and fantasies of the later ages. Throughout our history, a young man took an oath upon his maturity: “I shall not lie, or steal, or strike me dead.” This phrase in a thousand promises, a thousand oaths echoes through our history in every era.
And this ‘testimony’ this ‘oath’ is the secret of the west: by the combination of oath, sacrifice (battle), truthful (empirical) testimony, jury of peers, an independent judiciary, the sacredness of that oath as the basis for natural, judge-discovered, common law, a people small in number, against much greater numbers, and much greater wealth will innovate, and adapt to change FASTER if not first, than all other civilizations known to man. We are not always first, but where we are not first we are fastest. Because of the oath. This is why we are the origin of more art and science than all civlization in history combined, despite our youth, and small numbers.
Churches matter in every civilization. In any group of people. Rituals are required. Ceremonies, feasts, and celebrations. We must find some way to recreate the safety of the small tribe. To keep us one somehow. To invoke the pack response we call spiritualism (submission to the pack). To create bonds with those whom outside of church we may even compete with. But it matters little what occurs in those churches other than that we come together to submit to one another, develop and preserve kinship love for one another – despite our lack of kinship.
Our church did some valuable things: (a) attempted to maintain some semblance of order as the empire collapsed (b) attempted to preserve knowledge as ignorance expanded (c) forbid cousin marriage (in an effort to break up the lands of the great families so that they could be purchased more cheaply by the church), (d) managed what little resistance to the expansion of islam (e), and created an educated and literate cult of administration over the territories despite teaching nonsense to people, failing to educate them, and leaving them in darkness for nearly a thousand years.
But given that the church mythology was constructed from a combination of those same ancient myths, not the least of which was Mithraism of the soldiery, there is very little within the church’s teachings that did not exist prior to it. And there is much if not more bad done by the the church as good. And the pope’s current campaign in favor of the third world at the expense of the first, is just the most recent example of preserving the institution instead of reforming it.
We no longer need governance by religion, only ritual, festival, ceremony and perhaps education. We do need governance by law. And the whole world is rebelling despite its incomprehension of cause, against governance by credit which favors a few at the expense of the many, no longer serves the family, tribe, and nation, and is no longer eugenic, but dysgenic on a scale we have never seen before in human history – a price future generations will pay for as much as the dark ages did, because as the marginal differences in knowledge and production are eradicated by global trade and communication, the favelas and slums will be unable to change, because there is no method of using incentives voluntarily organizing production of large numbers of underclasses with the productive capacity of any upper and middle class. The third world will no longer starve, but it will remain poor. There are many kinds of dark ages. And we are just as likely to enter one as exit the current stagnation.
There is plenty in our history to worship, to celebrate, to feast over, to ritualize, and to ceremonialize. We can Love Jesus truthfully as a philosopher, or untruthfully as a prophet. We can love our western god as a wise father, rather than feign submission to the Jewish imitation of an Egyptian one. We can pray for wisdom to not only our gods and saints, but our scientists, philosophers, artists, craftsmen, warriors, and wise men. We can celebrate life rather than fear death. We can celebrate nature rather than heaven. We can revel in our defeats of the great darknesses of time, ignorance, poverty, disease and suffering. We can learn our great history of truth telling, and honor, the skills of parenting, the skills of life, the skills of civic duty – and our skills of war.
Because that would be telling the truth to one another.
And that’s what it means to be ‘western’.
The Philosophy of Aristocracy
The Propertarian Institute
Aug 24, 2016 2:23pm
—“Would you also say, sir, that Europe’s Scientific and industrial Revolutions were the result of this high trust/social capital, as opposed to the prevailing narrative that colonialism = industrial/scientific revolution? It’s always been a theory of mine that social capital is what allowed Europe and Western Civilization to accelerate ahead of other Civs, which runs contrary to the Guns, Germs and Steel narrative”—
Well, the tradition was there in the 700’s when the Friesians started immigrating to land in England. And Roger Bacon in 1200 started a tradition that Francis Bacon brought to fruition in the 1500’s. Bacon had studied this contractualism and invented empiricism. And starting about the same time they started aggressively hanging vast numbers of troublemakers, and restoring the trade that would become the Hansa (Germanic) civilization.
So my view is that the colonial expansion ARRESTED the growth of germanic north sea civilization, and that while there was amazing wealth generated in England, France, holland, Spain, and Portugal by this switch from north sea to Atlantic, that the reason for the division between germanic and English civilizations that culminated in the world wars, was this catastrophe we call colonialism. (Durant has the same opinion).
Now, Americans speak English, but we separated from England before England split from germanic civilization. The majority of American whites are from germanic decent. And the majority of anglo whites are from pre-Germanic split. So that is why we have the language of the English and a culture more Prussian-like the germans.
And in my opinion, from what I’ve seen throughout history, as far as I can tell, the industrial revolution would have occurred in northern Europe just as it nearly occurred in Athens. England blew up just like Athens for the same reason – overreach.
If you have an empirical society, with enough literacy, and enough cultural capital, you will eventually produce innovations, since there is no opportunity to survive and compete by parasitism.
In other words, if we create rule of law we will continue to evolve. We have no choice. It’s the societies that dont create incremental suppression through natural law that stagnate.
Becuase it is too easy to develop stagnating-corruption and parasitism.
[A]ristocracy, Meritocracy, Rule of Law, Market Economies, Manorialism(controlled access to land), voluntary mate selection, late marriage, nuclear family, migratory skilled labor, Low Tolerance Policing/high trust requirement, aggressive hanging, militial warfare (volunteer infantry), harsh winters, mathusian farming production, plagues, economic shocks, and disasters, have the following effects:
1 – force improved long term, mate selection
2 – lower generational rates of reproduction
3 – limit reproduction to those who are in the genetic ‘middle class’ and upward.
4 – redistribute resources upward to middle class and away from lower class reproduction.
5 – cull lower classes aggressively.
Which is important, because every person that’s ‘problematic’ at the bottom is six times as costly as every person that’s ‘beneficial’ at the top.
The basic math is like this: to organize a society in the voluntary organization of production you must get 80% of the resources in to 20% of population, and that 20% of the population must be ‘intelligent’ enough to make use of it. That means you must get your median IQ somewhere in the 100-106 range before you can really do much toward developing a high trust market economy. And you want to get as close to 112 to 115 if you want to out-compete the rest of the planet with innovations sufficiently to live what we in the west consider a marginally different quality of life.
The Propertarian Institute
[T]here is a vast difference between a western culture that merely prohibits ‘bads’, and eastern cultures that proscribe ‘goods’.
That this difference is also the difference between science and mysticism may be lost on all but the few.
That which may be good is anything that is not bad. That which may be true is anything that is not false.
WE INNOVATE AND THEY STAGNATE
Innovation requires innovative people open to new experience and the intelligence to make use of it.
Prescription requires only fools.
Innovators produce a class of professional warriors. Prescribers product legions of slave armies.
Technology under the rifle changed. Technology in the present is changing again.
[S]o Zoroastrianism was constructed to divide the Persians and indians who were both southern indo european peoples.
Then the Talmud was constructed as a lie to justify retention of property after the end of the babylonian conquest.
The greeks invent reason, truth, science, politics for the management of people at scale.
The Romans, seeing the ‘verbalism’ (immorality) of the greeks, resist greek idealism and embrace practical and empirical means.
THE RESISTANCE BY DECEIT
Then judaism evolved as a means by which to justify parasitism upon host civilizations while maintaining group cohesion.
Then christianity was constructed as a rebellion against the empire, that had deprived primitive people of their local status signals.
Then the bible was constructed to manage the hordes through false promise now that production by slavery was no longer possible.
Then the koran was constructed to unite the tribes and conquer the peninsula (and then the exhausted Byzantines and Sassanids, and North Africa, and then Spain. )
THE FAILURES AT RESTORATION
The Carolingians failed to construct an economic and political order. although the trade routes from Italy to the Netherlands and then to the north sea peoples created incremental organic evolution.
The Templars created the legal and credit system and were destroyed by the authoritarian church who was their debtor.
The Hansa recreated the legal, credit, and trade system. But were out-competed by the territorial powers that largely adopted their methods.
The development of the new world and colonies allowed the financing of the transition of the west to economic modernity. (despite that there was little long term benefit to western nations, and strangely enough quite a considerable benefit to colonies depending upon who colonized them.)
THE RESTORATION OF TRUTH
Then the anglos responded with the enlightenment, empiricism, and the restoration of truth (science).
The french responded with … rousseuan pseudoscience and pseudo morality, as a means of creating the terror, and attempting to unify all of europe under their despotism.
The germans respond with restating christian mysticism as kantian rationalism. And create a new vehicle for obscurantism.
The Jews responded by converting the hansa/templar system to their advantage in the territorial wars between Britain and France (Napoleonic wars) creating the Rothschild and consequent systems of order creation by using our own capital stock and lending it back to us.
Westerners responded with the nation-state, an attempt to construct professional bureaucracy, the gold standard, empire and the industrial revolution. Most importantly, american constitution and it’s somewhat failed attempt at natural law expressed as a formal logic of cooperation.
Jews responded with an attack on the academy and polity by creating the great pseudosciences: Boazian Sociology, Marxist Economics and Politics, Freudian Psychology. All of which were constructed to universalize separatist judaism or justify hosting jewish separatism despite it’s parasitisms. This merely taking the argumentatitve innovations of the french and germans combining them with the same obscurantist ‘preaching’ technique used to distribute Christianity, except now using the power of the printing press.
BRANCH : We branch now into various evolutions upon this new religion – faster innovation in the technologies of truth and falsehood.
Branch 1 – Jewish
Then the second wave: Popperian philsophy, Misesian Economics, Randian/Rothbardian Libertinism. (the half-failure/half-success)
Then the third wave: straussian neo-conservativsm and expansionary militarism of the ‘new rome’. (the madness of power)
Branch 2 – Neo Puritan
Then the adoption of Keyneisan Economics as the new innumerate pseudoscience. and Rawlsian Ethics as the pseudo morality.
Then the adoption of postmodern philosophy in academia.
THE FAILED REACTION
Mises in economics, Brouwer in Mathematics, Bridgman in Physics (science), Popper in philosophy, A HOST of authors in Law. And a total catastrophic absence in Politics since majoritarianism was still influential everywhere.
RESTORATION: Science catches up with the deceit and starts to disprove it.
The various cognitive scientists, and neurologists, are largely responsible for our reframing of jewish monopoly conformity to western distribution of talents and abilities.
EO Wilson states that a synthesis of biology, morality, politics and economics – all the sciences – should be possible.
Archaeologists and historians and evolutionary biologists in our social orders.
Haidt, the empirical psychologists, and the anthropologists in the evolution of cooperation.
Doolittle in Economics, Politics, Ethics, Sociology, Psychology, Epistemology and Metaphysics.
In retrospect this is my view of the evolution of history as a competition between the different european tribes, most of which practice morality and one of which practices immorality. And the reason being that if we hold land we can construct moral rules because we must in order to create the commons of land holding. A parasitic people that does not need or cannot hold land need not create commons because they can use the host’s.
THE CENTRAL SUBJECT OF OUR DISCOURSE MUST BE THE COMMONS NOT THE INDIVIDUAL.
Law is for individuals. Individuals must be able to act in their interests, limited by the prohibition on parasitism.
But policy must exist for the production of commons that perpetuates the family, kin, tribe, and nation, or else it is just a lie to justify conquest.
The Propertarian Institute
[A]N ARCHEOLOGICAL RATHER THAN LITERARY VERSION OF EUROPEAN PEOPLE’S HISTORY
The Cookery – Crossing The Galactic Plane – Accelerating Evolution?
The Birth – Out of Africa in Waves and Along the Waves
The Childhood – The Miracle In Afghanistan: Big Brains.
The Maturity – Domestication of plants and animals.
*The First Disaster: The Black Sea Deluge and the Diaspora and Division of PIE peoples into Northern (european), Southern (iranian), and Eastern (indian) peoples.
The Religious Era: Island Britain as The Holy People of Nature
The Copper and Bronze Era: Celtic Europa as Metalworkers
*The First Great Plague – The Sea Peoples and Natural Disasters
The Iron Age: Greco – Roman Civilization as Expansionary/Commercial
The Extermination of the Religion of Nature – Roman and Church Conquest
*The First Plague Age – Justinian Plague, The Criminal Conversion of Europe, and the First Muslim Plagues
The Frankish Age (Migration Period) – The Failure of the French Attempt
The Viking Age, The Templar Age, and The Great Betrayal by the Church
*The Second Plague Age – the Black Death
The Hanseatic Age – The Success of the North Sea Germans
The Hanseatic – Venice Age – Trade Merges North Sea and Mediterranean
The Atlantic Age – Anglo, Dutch, French, Spanish, Austrian Age.
*The First Great Civil War – The Thirty Years War.
The British Age – The Second Athenian Empire: World Trade
*The Second Great Civil War – WW1+2 and The Second Great Lie: Boaz, Marx, Freud, Keynes, and Pseudoscience
The American Age – Flight,Technology, Democracy, and The Failure of the Second Roman Empire
*The Third Great Plague – Third world immigration, Jewish proselytizing of Pseudoscience, Islamic fundamentalism, Postmodern (feminist) lying (verbalism),
The Flat Age: Technology, Population, and The Great Leveling,
*The Fourth Great Plague / Next Great Disaster – (gotta happen).
Keep in context please that I can expand this coverage for the whole world but my central concern is the evolution of truth and the high trust society. Which appears largely the result of hostile climates, sparse populations, a wet continent, and constant eugenics.
(I will write more on this later. But it will explain my emphasis on operationalism and strict construction)
[B]efore about 1830, when the British Empire adopted commercial universalism, Britain was a member of germanic, north sea, hanseatic, civilization.
We tend to compare our British ancestors to Today’s Britons who are heavily catholicized and franglicized, and certainly members of socialist cults of hyper signaling through quests for artificial moralism.
But the majority of anglo immigrants arrive before the civil war, and the majority of german immigrants before the second world war. And the majority of white americans trace their history to germanic origins.
Our warriors in our wars – all of them – are largely germanic. Our Teutons (warrior caste) have been our great leaders.
Our founders had far more in common with their german counterparts in pre-unification Germany, than they did with middle class and commercial victorian Britons. They may have spoken English. They may have learned French. They may have ridiculed the ‘backwardness’ of the Germans. But for all intents and purposes they were Germanic, Protestant, Hanseatic, North Sea peoples with germanic aspirations and germanic values. And because of its libertarian political structure, Hanseatic Civilization (of the north sea peoples) does not receive historical treatment that the statist era the destroyed it under napoleon, and with napoleon set the destruction of western civilization in motion.
The american states had more in common with the german principalities than they did with their British ancestors.
Our indoctrination into the ‘frame’ of war-making-nation-states obscures too much information from us. There is some truth that in the ancient, medieval, and modern worlds, there was an acknowledge conspiracy between today’s catholic(mediterranean trade) states that the germans be left alone so that they defended the frontier from the barbarians of the east. But we are a germanic people – a north sea people. Water ways determined evolution more so than land masses since it is waterways that provide routes for discounted conduct of trade.
The american civil war – over control of the continent with slavery as the excuse – and Lincoln’s destruction of the germanic states, and their conversion to Napoleonic centrality, was the second great tragedy of Europe. And the attempt to unify Europe under a federal government the third great tragedy.
We can now only struggle to overthrow the failed Enlightenment projects, and return to polycentrism which was the competitive cause of western political, military, and commercial innovation.
Scale increases the promise of mutual insurance in exchange for the stagnation and systemic parasitism that results from all organizational certainty. Only change and conflict strengthen (see Taleb), and certainty increases fragility.
So we can also state that libertarian sentiments of our anglo saxon ancestors were artificially protected just as the libertarian sentiments of our Icelandic and american ancestors. And that it is only our Scandinavian(middle ages) and Prussian(enlightenment) ancestors that held europe’s indo-european warrior traditions as central cultural values. (This is an uncomfortable truth that libertarians will have difficulty swallowing.)
America is a Germanic Country, Conquered by French Nation-statism, Invaded by The Second Great Jewish Lie of Pseudoscience, The Great Deceit of Postmodernism that followed, and saved only by the challenge of overcoming the nearly but not fully, strictly constructed Anglo Saxon Common Law. Hence my radically analytic pursuit of Truth, and Strict Construction (operationalism) so that it is possible to reform our ancient germanic polycentric government so that it cannot be changed by political means, can may only evolve methods of voluntary cooperation.
The Propertarian Institute
[W]e can finally piece together the west’s struggle to ‘transcend’ the human animal, and to become our gods. Truth is the common thread.
THE SECRETS OF THE WEST’S SUCCESS:
AXIS 1) Militarism, Militia, Heroism, Truth,
AXIS 2) Sovereignty. Private Property, Voluntary Exchange, Contract
AXIS 3) Jury, Common Law, Rule of law & Universal Standing, Natural Law
AXIS 4) Debate, Reason, Philosophy, Logic, Science, Medicine
AXIS 6) Near Breeding Eugenics, Manorial Eugenics, Criminal Eugenics
The People Who Fight (defense – order) Aristocratic.
The People Who Farm (capital – production) Libertarian.
The People Who Gather (labor – consumption) Socialist.
The Follies: Athenian/Spartan and Anglo/German civil wars.
The Plagues: i) Justinian / Arab ii) The Black Death
The Invasions: The demographic invasions of Greece, Of Rome, Of the Roman Empire, of Europe and Americas.
The Great Lies: i) Jewish Christianity, ii) Jewish Pseudoscience, iii) Islamism
The Great Losses: Arab and Turkish Conquests of The East , The Communist Revolution in Russia, Russian Conquest of Eastern Europe,
1) Narrative, Writing, The Story, The Dramatic Play, The Novel, The Serial.
2) Counting, Positional Numbering, Arithmetic, Accounting, Computerized Accounting,
3) Mathematics (sets), Geometry (space), Calculus (relative change), Statistics (probability),
5) (evolutionary biology)
7) (truth) Syllogism, ..(correspondence).. Critical Rationalism, Testimonialism,
[I] intuitively feel the principle of noblesse oblige: every position on the team, in the field, in the economy, in the army is dependent upon every other. But this not an air. It is continuation of tradition of martial rank.
Rank is necessary for coordination and skill, so that together we may resist or defeat those with less coordination and skill – but otherwise we are all brothers in arms.
This is the origin of western egalitarianism: voluntary organization of the militia as our means of defense. Of part time soldiers, and professional warriors. And we preserved this order in daily life. We preserved our ranks in daily life. We preserved our brotherhood in daily life. This is the meaning of ‘the west’.
The king and pawn fulfill different needs but the pawn cannot organize without the king, and the king cannot concentrate force without the pawn.
The martial is instinctual in many of us. It has been with us for millennia. It is in our genes. The urban is in many of them, and the steppe and desert in others. The woman carries with her impulsive pragmatism necessary of mothers, and her history as breeding herd for male bands.
Only we built the west out of truth, testimony, rank, and merit. Only we can save the west with truth, testimony, rank and merit.
Out of hierarchy we built equality.
[C]hristianity consists of Germanic, Mediterranean, Jewish, Egyptian, and Babylonian ideas. If you were to reduce the western ethic to the jeffersonian bible, and natural law, you would have the germanic elements of it. Indo european aristocracy is what separates the west from the rest. Christianity takes much too much credit for the success of Europe which is as much the product of aristocracy (distributed governance) and its dependence upon trade rather than direct organization of production and heavy taxation, as it was the church. The church was weak, and that was a good thing. It provided literacy, administration, status, and licensed the conquest of unbelievers or violators of the church, in a land where the production of outputs was fairly constant, but the rulership readily changed. It is not the church per se that troubles me, but the use of levantine mysticism instead of aristotelianism and stoicism.
We mix our philosophers in every civilization:
– Chinese use Sun Tzu, Confucius, Lao Tzu, and Mao, but call themselves buddhists.
– Americans use Aristotle; Jesus, Peter and Paul; Smith, Hume, Jefferson, Hamilton and Paine, but call themselves christians.
Socialists use their false prophets: the marxists, but call themselves atheists and scientific.
– Germans use Aristotle, Kant…
– French use their authors …
– Muslims (judaism 2.0) reduce it to two books …
It’s hard to dispute the success of Christianity:
– (a) the church desperately worked to rebuild western civilization after the fall of the empire – even if it played a part in the destruction of western civilization itself.
– (b) wherever christianity goes today, wealth follows (eventually), because of the extension of kin love and trust to non-kin.
– (c) christianity somehow imbues us with idealism and this produces great thinkers.
– (d) the institutionalization of kinship love, the extension of property rights to all and to women and the prohibition on cousin marriage were profound advances.
I reduce post-medieval ‘scientific’ Christianity to a personal philosophy:
– sovereignty (non-submission: each man is the master of his fate),
– do no harm: respect property (property-en-toto), and;
– chivalry (try to help everyone you possibly can),
– paternalism (take personal responsibility for the various commons),
– piety (humility and self skepticism as a defense against hubris; the love of all life; the requirement that we create beauty; and awe at the universe great and small).
and combine that personal philosophy with a political philosophy:
– natural law (universal law, necessary for mutual prosperity)
– strict construction (not hermenuetic interpretation)
– mono-logism (one logic of ethics, and many contractual adaptations)
– universalism (if it is indeed true, then it is true for all men)
In other words, a political philosophy of cooperation.
And I view all other political models as a failure to solve the problem of politics (cooperation in the production of commons).
Everything else is merely theatre. Not that theatre is not important. Theater is ritual, and rituals bind. The more expensive the rituals, the greater the binding.
This vision of Christianity is a vision of the empowered. The vision of Christianity for the unempowered, and for the weak must be different. We can have multiple religions to achieve this, we can tell multiple narratives, or we can create multiple ‘saints’ (gods and heroes) for people with different needs to pray to, that symbolize different ends.
– sovereignty to submission;
– prayer as request for will and wisdom from a hero whose soul (memory) lives on in all of us;
– seasonal rituals celebrating life on earth rather than lives of prophets
– worship of life, beauty, joy and friends, to salvation from suffering;
– many gods for many different people to one god for all;
– fairies, elves, dwarves, trolls, forests to angels and deserts.
– the ancient temple to the medieval church;
because one-ness, monopoly, and authority are cancers for the human mind and spirit.
I am pretty certain of:
– – buddhism for the feminine (defensive control of the impulsive mind)
– – stoicism for the masculine (offensive discipline in furtherance of action)
– western myths and fairy tales
– truth telling as the most important normative commons we can construct.
– grammar, rhetoric, logic, scientific method (testimonialism), economics, history, as producing higher return in current civilization than our current emphasis on abstract calculation which will soon be replaced by machinery.
And the trouble in the modern era is:
– these are masculine prophets and philosophers. Women in each civilization, not only ours, seek to restore the matrilineal order, parasitism and de-civilization, through the newfound power of the state. The only solution I can come up with is to make use of voluntary exchange between classes and to give women a house from which to negotiate those exchanges, rather than empower them through democracy to destroy civilization. Science is reversing a century and a half of feminist and socialist pseudoscience. But it is happening slowly. Whether too slowly is the open question.
(I am still working on religion. so this is just my current thinking)
—“Curt, you’ve been hinting that you think that high trust, low ethnocentrism is not an evolutionary strategy superior in every regard.”—
[T]his is an interesting question because like supply-demand curves, no evolutionary strategy is beneficial under all conditions – other than rate of adaptation. Humans are special in our rate of adaptation because not only can we adapt by developing tools, we can adapt by changing our behavior, AND we can adapt merely by selective reproduction for the EXPRESSION of genes, AND we can adapt by selective SUPPRESSION of genes (genetic pacification), rather than merely waiting for mutations. As such we actually only have to modify our behavior, and reproductively select for different goods and pacify other traits as conditions change.
So we naturally encounter three overlapping fallacies in study of ourselves: The fallacy of linear progression(instead of supply-demand curves). The fallacy of progress (rather than adaptation). The fallacy of evolutionary direction (rather than evolution has no direction other than a bias for complexity in order to exploit niches).
Well, a small, high trust, highly innovative, technically advanced, militarily excellent, aristocratic population that is willing to conquer and rule can compete. Conversely, a small, high trust, highly innovative, technically advanced that is unwilling to maintain military excellence, unwilling to rule, and unwilling to defend its territory from incursion cannot compete.
So the reason I’m addressing these issues is the theory of “Peak Human”. Its not necessarily true that intelligence and limited reproduction are more beneficial than rapid reproduction and aggression. Malthus unbound means reproduction and aggression are more competitive than intelligence, innovation, and quality of life.
Expensive and pacifist humans are a liability in a world of inexpensive and aggressive humans. More reproductive, less intelligent, more aggressive people will defeat less reproductive, more intelligent, less aggressive people. And it’s happening.
Which is obvious when we state it that way.
—“I got the impression that you thought the West would eventually be able to detect lying high ethnocentric cultures. Do you no longer feel this way? Because your exchange with him made it seem they’d have to become familial, rather than simply upgrade infringements of trust.”—
We can put into a constitution, and therefore into the common law an equivalent of the requirement for mathematical proofs (demonstrations of possibility), and scientific papers (a loose analogy but the best I can do). We can enumerate the steps necessary to propose a political statement (an offer of contract, bound by contract). We can return grammar, rhetoric, and logic to education. We can prosecute offenders, and suppress lying as well as error, bias, and wishful thinking. It might take six to ten years to work its way through the culture, but at some point after ten or more years, people will be so habituated into the demands of truth telling by simple exposure to it, that they’ll spot error, bias, wishful thinking, and deceit easily. I mean, a lot of the most important disciplines do this today already. Law is not strictly constructed, but contracts are very close to programming at this point. Science does a fairly good job of peer review in the top journals – and law is nowhere near as difficult a problem as is physical science, because law (contract) is a justificationary process (known) and physical science is a critical process (unknown).
Now, I advocate a return to the traditional family because the absolute nuclear family is no longer useful because we move around too much. It was useful for forcing people to obtain homes, and for delaying child bearing, when they lived near one another. But what’s happened is that our people are becoming unhappy because they’re alone. And (in particular, our women) are more susceptible to ideology if they are alone rather than in families. And our rates of reproduction are better in traditional families with greater mutual economic, emotional, and generational support. For men, the ANF and divorce means early death.
Germany has for example, built large family sized apartments in the postwar era while Asia and to some degree, america, are building every smaller apartments – which is terrible for everyone involved.
The argument is that ANF families are higher trust than TRAD/STEM families, but that is because of norms not laws. If we have a legal system that enforces truth telling (now that we know how), that means that trust can be created regardless of reproductive family structure.
I try to say it this way: that while only northern europeans could EVOLVE high trust, once the technology is know everyone else can APPLY high trust ethics in law. Just like we invent other technologies that different cultures adapt.
My fantasy world is a future of high trust societies slowly suppressing low trust societies, just as agrarian societies suppressed banditry and raiding. As far as I can tell this is a logical progression of the incremental suppression of parasitism. Not that it’s a deterministic process, but because it’s a competitive evolutionary strategy just as the suppression of fraud, theft and violence were competitive strategies.
—“It’s hard for me to see how regression back to familialism is progress by any perspective. This “propagation of local genes” seems a flawed model, because it’s often not ultimately eugenic.”—
Well I think I answered the first part of this question already, but the second part is a common misunderstanding of inbreeding. It’s true that there is a minimum population necessary to prevent the problems of inbreeding. But it’s also true that there is a maximum population before we prevent error-correction. And a maximum population to produce attractive people by pairing off. Large Cities, particularly diverse large cities, are dysgenic as hell. What we see today is very much the reproductive strategy of crows: young people move to the city for opportunity and mating, then move to the suburbs to raise children.
—“I have my own Nietzschean critiques of the West, but I don’t see why they shouldn’t continue to pursue their evolutionary strategy of building a superior commons.”—
I agree. And that commons will be superior under Truthful Speech, Propertarian ethics, the traditional (extended) family, the elimination of the death tax, and the restoration of nobility (access to the senate) to a family that maintains its military, economic and social status sufficiently to afford to contribute to the commons over three or more generations.
Honestly, the forced exit of the martial class from politics since the Vietnam war is a significant part of the problem here. And it’s easy to fix.
1) Fear of outsiders is not ‘a thing’ but a universal human reaction. Or at least it is outside of northern europeans. It is not an irrational fear. It is a rational fear. That is why humans bear the intuition. It is an instance of the disgust response.
2) The Fear of Catholics and Jews was warranted. Any student of intellectual and legal history will have trouble arguing otherwise. Prohibition was an example of the reaction to catholic immigration. Jews have had an equally negative effect in a number of areas. YOu can say in both cases that we have endured those negatives. But it is very hard to say that between the catholics and jews that rule of law persists. (you may not like it, but it is what it is.)
3) High trust society resists lower trust cultures. And we pay the price for integrating lower trust cultures with traditional families into high trust culture with absolute nuclear families. It is what it is. Trust decreases, civic participation decreases, economic velocity decreases. (and yes that’s the case, although it’s very contentious, I am pretty sure I can hold that argument against any economist living).
So it is a rational instinct (we evolved it for a reason) and a rational fear (empirically the consequences have been catastrophic since 1963). And we require both empirical and operational means of testing such statements to the contrary.
(Human perception being one of frog-boiling intertemporal incompetence.)
[O]ne of the great civilizations of human pre-history. A center not an outlier.
Reincarnation. An underworld. Oak Trees Planted Upside down.
The Hearth. Homes built around hearths. Stone circles built around homes.
Feats of public engineering. A bronze age industrial revolution.
The intentional destruction of our Priest-Judges and our civilization by Rome.
The consequent destruction of our entire european religion (civilization) by Justinian.
There was no Celtic conquests. There were no anglo-saxon conquests. There were no Viking conquests. There was even limited norman conquest. We see cultural adoption of British civilization on the continent, then after conquest by Rome and the destruction fo the druids, adoption of roman status signals and culture. Then after the departure of Rome, the adoption of north sea Scandinavian signals and culture.
Bede’s Justification of the Church and the Fabrication of Primitivism of the British peoples. It was a lie.
We had liberty in pre-history: rule of law and an independent judiciary in prehistory.
The north sea peoples were constantly trading and inbreeding.
The use of flint was eliminated by the oversupply of bronze tools.
We were cut off at the knees by Romans, not civilized by them.
We were enslaved into hierarchy by the church, not civilized by it.
Yet with the reintroduction of pagan thought (greek) we restored our civilization in but a few hundred years, and again produced an industrial revolution.
As far as I can tell, we never developed centralized government and taxation, so we did not develop inventories and writing. That is because we never had to construct irrigation or armies. We would only have developed writing if we had expanded commerce sufficiently to require inventories and contracts. But we did not get the chance. Romans killed our civilization. Bede and the church lied to us to pretend they had civilized us.
The Americans tried to restore our ancient civilization. But the Louisiana purchase and the failure to divide north and south into separate nations by aggressive conquest by the north, repeated the process.
Knowledge is power.
We can restore our northern European civilization.
No state. Rule of Law. Professional, devoted, judiciary. Private property. Militia. Universal standing. And civic construction of commons.
(must read)(from hbd chick)
Northern europeans began to think of — or at least write about — themselves as individuals beginning in the eleventh century a.d. [pgs. 158, 160, and 64-67 – bolding and links inserted by me]:
“The discovery of the individual was one of the most important cultural [*ahem*] developments in the years between 1050 and 1200. It was not confined to any one group of thinkers. Its central features may be found in different circles: a concern with self-discovery; an interest in the relations between people, and in the role of the individual within society; an assessment of people by their inner intentions rather than by their external acts. These concerns were, moreover, conscious and deliberate. ‘Know yourself’ was one of the most frequently quoted injunctions. The phenomenon which we have been studying was found in some measure in every part of urbane and intelligent society.
“It remains to ask how much this movement contributed to the emergence of the distinctively Western view of the individual…. The continuous history of several art-forms and fields of study, which are particularly concerned with the individual, began at this time: auto-biography, psychology, the personal portrait, and satire were among them….
“The years between 1050 and 1200 must be seen…as a turning-point in the history of Christian devotion. There developed a new pattern of interior piety, with a growing sensitivity, marked by personal love for the crucified Lord and an easy and free-flowing meditation on the life and passion of Christ….
“The word ‘individual’ did not, in the twelfth century, have the same meaning as it does today. The nearest equivalents were *individuum*, *individualis*, and *singularis*, but these terms belonged to logic rather than to human relations….
“The age had, however, other words to express its interest in personality. We hear a great deal of ‘the self’, not expressed indeed in that abstract way, but in such terms as ‘knowing oneself’, ‘descending into oneself’, or ‘considering oneself’. Another common term was *anima*, which was used, ambiguously in our eyes, for both the spiritual identity (‘soul’) of a man and his directing intelligence (‘mind’). Yet another was ‘the inner man’, a phrase found in Otloh of Saint Emmeram and Guibert of Nogent, who spoke also of the ‘inner mystery’. Their vocabulary, while it was not the same as ours, was therefore rich in terms suited to express the ideas of self-discovery and self-exploration.
“Self-knowledge was one of the dominant themes of the age…. These writers all insisted on self-knowledge as fundamental. Thus Bernard wrote to Pope Eugenius, a fellow-Cistercian, about 1150: ‘Begin by considering yourself — no, rather, end by that….For you, you are the first; you are also the last.’ So did Aelred of Rievaulx: ‘How much does a man know, if he does not know himself?’ The Cistercian school was not the only one to attach such a value to self-knowledge. About 1108 Guibert of Nogent began his history of the Crusade with a modern-sounding reflection about the difficulty of determining motive:
“‘It is hardly surprising if we make mistakes in narrating the actions of other people, when we cannot express in words even our own thoughts and deeds; in fact, we can hardly sort them out in our own minds. It is useless to talk about intentions, which, as we know, are often so concealed as scarcely to be discernible to the understanding of the inner man.’
“Self-knowledge, then, was a generally popular ideal.”
There seem to be two broad sociobiological/genocultural packages when it comes to average nepotistic vs. not-so-nepotistic altruistic behaviors in human populations — these are not binary opposites, but rather the ends of some sort of continuum of behavioral traits [click on table for LARGER view]:
Nepotistic vs. not-so-nepotistic
The common thread running through the not-so-nepotistic groups of today (primarily northwest europeans) is a long history of outbreeding (i.e. avoiding close matings, like cousin marriage). (and a long history of manorialism. yes, i WILL start my series on medieval manorialism soon!) while individualism and guilt cultures may have been present in northern europe in paleolithic or even mesolithic populations, these behavioral traits and mindsets were definitely not present in the pre-christian germanic, british, or irish populations of late antiquity. those populations were very much all about clans and kindreds, feuding and honor, shame, and group consensus. guilt/individualistic cultures (i.e. not-so-nepostic societies) can come and go depending at least partly on long-term mating patterns. human evolution can be recent as well as aeons old.
The individualistic guilt-culture of northwest (“core”) europeans today came into existence thanks to their extensive outbreeding during the medieval period (…and the manorialism). the outbreeding started in earnest in the 800s (at least in northern france) and, as we saw above, by 1050-1100 thoughts on individualis began to stir. around the same time, communes appeared in northern italy and parts of france — civic societies. violence rates begin to fall in the 1200s, especially in more outbred populations, i would argue (guess!) because the impulsive violence related to clan feuding was no longer being selected for.
By the 1300-1400s, after an additional couple hundred years of outbreeding, the renaissance was in full swing due to the “wikification” of northern european society — i.e. that nw europeans now possessed a set of behavioral traits that drove them to work cooperatively with non-relatives — to share openly knowledge and ideas and labor in reciprocally altruistic ways. the enlightenment? well, that was just the full flowering of The Outbreeding Project — an explosion of these not-so-nepotistic behavioral traits that had been selected for over the preceding 800 to 900 years. individualism? universalism? liberal democracy? tolerance? reason? skepticism? coffeehouses? the age of enlightenment IS what core europeans are all about! hurray! (^_^) the Project and its effects are ongoing today.
It could be argued that the fact that certain mating patterns seem to go together with certain societal types is just a coincidence — or that it’s the societal type that affects or dictates the mating patterns. for example, i said in my recent post on shame and guilt in ancient greece that:
“shame cultures are all tied up with honor — especially family honor. japan — with its meiwaku and seppuku — is the classic example of a shame culture, but china with its confucian filial piety is not far behind. the arabized populations are definitely shame cultures with their honor killings and all their talk of respect. even european mediterranean societies are arguably more honor-shame cultures than guilt cultures [pdf].
“if you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time, you’ll recognize all of those shame cultures as having had long histories of inbreeding: maternal cousin marriage was traditionally very common in east asia (here’re japan and china); paternal cousin marriage is still going strong in the arabized world; and cousin marriage was prevelant in the mediterranean up until very recently (here’s italy, for example).”
Perhaps, you say, the causal direction is that nepotistic, clannish shame-cultures somehow promote close matings (cousin marriage or whatever). well, undoubtedly there are reinforcing feedback loops here, but the upshot is that both ancient greece and medieval-modern europe clearly illustrate that the mating patterns come first. (possibly ancient rome, too, but i’ll come back to that another day.) the pre-christian northern european societies were clannish shame-cultures until after the populations switched to outbreeding (avoiding cousin marriage) in the early medieval period. late archaic-early classical greek society was rather (a bit borderline) universalistic, individualistic [pg. 160+] and guilt-based until after they began to marry their cousins with greater frequency (at least in classical athens). the not-so-nepotistic guilt-culture we see now in northwest european populations is particularly resilient, i think, because the outbreeding has been carried out for a particularly long time (since at least the 800s) and thanks to the complementary selection pressures of the medieval manor system (which ancient greece lacked), but it did not exist before the early medieval period.
So, the direction of causation seems to be: (long-term) mating patterns –> societal type (nepotistic vs. not-so-nepotistic).