Nov 17, 2016 3:17pm
Americans are more friendly, humble, playful and optimistic at the cost of a general ignorance. Pub-Manners are a good protocol in small towns, Restaurant manners in cities and suburbs. We don’t really have a cafe culture outside of the coffee shops in the big cities. I love small town New England. But Europe is better. And I’m totally in love with L’viv. The irritating thing in america is obvious: that people lack the awareness of their privilege, and the lower classes have ruined the commons.
Nov 17, 2016 3:17pm
I love Russians, Ukrainians, Estonians, Latvians, Poles, Georgians, and I probably love every christian soul on earth. What I don’t love is American neo-conservatism, Anglo-Scandianvian Pseudo-moral suicide, German Suicidal Counter-signaling, Eastern European disregard for the commons, and Russian predilection for dishonestyout of the fear of looking weak rather than honest confrontation and compromise .
We are all wrong about something. It doesn’t matter who is more wrong than anyone else.
The right answer is that the circumpolar people we call ‘christiandom’ range from the utopian australians and canadians, to the idealistic americans, to the pseudo-moral-suicidal scandinavians, to the counter-signaling germans, to the fearful and untrusting eastern europeans, to the nihilistic and paranoid russians, need to regain their confidence and return to the challenge at hand: domesticating the animal man – and to stop lying to themselves and each other.
The Propertarian Institute
AN EXPLANATION OF OUR DIFFERENCES
- There is a reason the stock market is in America, the bond market in the UK, manufacturing in Germany, and Military in Russia: risk – love of risk, pragmatic risk, fear of risk, and dread of risk. This risk perception is (as is true everywhere on earth) a reflection of military prowess and the number of hostile or competing borders.
- North Sea Civilization (German Hanseatic) was cut short by the discovery of the Americas. This forced a change in anglo civilization, and between the expansion of the British Empire, it’s emphasis on finance and trade rather than territory, and its nearly monopoly on military power, so that by 1830 anglo commercial and naval civilization had divorced from german craftsman and martial civilization. The change was institutionalized under Disraeli, who changed the empire from a Burkian moral one – of domestication of man – to a purely puritan/cosmopolitan commercial one.
- The American culture is purely commercial. Everyone is always ‘serving a customer’. Americans have no other culture than commerce, and never have had. We have no aristocracy to imitate. So our ‘manners’ are not those of the hearth, or the church, or the court – but of the market.
- Americans are highly mobile, and have been ‘integrating’ people from different regions for centuries. The american ‘market’ culture evolved to use market manners as the way of signaling against pretense, against status signaling, and in favor of equality. There is a reason why the world capital of advertising is in NY, and media in LA. Everyone sells.
- The American population was, until the immigration revision act of 1965 designed to expand the voting base of left-leaning government, roughly half anglo-descendent and half german-descendant. There was an even chance early in that americans would end up speaking either german or english. The upper caste (puritan) was english and dutch and drove the change.
- German culture today is heavily influence (wrongly) by the guilt over the world wars. Instead, in retrospect, we can see that it was the Hansa that dragged Europe out of the middle ages and caused the second empirical civilization after ancient Greece. And the Hansa civilization was cut short by the economic opportunity of conquering and populating the new continents. But the germanic expansion that would rid us of muslim and mongol influence was truncated by Anglo Atlantic civilization. And it was, perhaps, the greatest mistake in history after Alexander’s failure to return to Greece.
Germans are no longer the heart of Europe, because to function as a Core State of a civilization you must lead in not only commerce, but in military, in rule, and in thought leadership. To do this requires not accommodation but expansion. Not pragmatism but evolution.
The anglo method has been a failure. Why? Athens -> Sparta -> Rome. UK -> Germany -> America(DC). Navy (commercial) -> Army (civil) -> Empire(expansion)
The Athens-UK, fought with Sparta-Germany, resulting in Rome-USA. But our civilization is germanic, hanseatic, and armies hold territory and culture. Navies just make it all more profitable. This is why american thought leadership in strategic affairs wants america out of Europe. So Germany will restore herself to her prior position, and we can attempt (slowly) to repair our catastrophic mistake.
The Propertarian Institute
[Q]UESTION: If we contain Russian barbarism, then who will contain American barbarism?
ANSWER: Well that is not an honest statement right? It posits a false moral equivalency rather than the truth that each party is half-right. Moreover, it is easier to correct the half-right anglo island dweller political ideology, but very difficult to correct half-right russian-steppe low trust and pervasive corruption.
The answer of course is to close borders, and bring capital to people rather than people to capital, and cause internal reformation through capitalism, trade, and prosperity, rather than export of cancerous low trust behavior to higher trust countries, and buildup of land, sea, and air, state-militaries.
So, if you mean, who will correct American perception of the value of extending democracy – which requires a high trust society – rather than just limiting protecting property rights (borders, human rights/liberty, capitalism/property rights)? Then that is an honest question.
If you mean that you think that the world will naturally adopt borders (common property), human rights(mind and body), and capitalism (private-property), that is possible. But then again, we cannot have any of these things unless we insure others and they insure us – by intervention when asked.
Russia is correct in its criticism of American ideological error in failing to understand the importance of authority in heterogeneous low trust polities with complex borders. More primitive people require more authoritarian governments. More advanced peoples require less authoritarian governments. Democracy is a luxury good of advanced, high trust homogenous societies with absolute nuclear families. I
As far as I know the USA largely plays sheriff, and is incorrect only in the sense that (a) we do not require Europe(Germany) to carry its own water, (b) we are wrong that democratic governments are superior to authoritarian governments.
Why? Because democratic and authoritarian governments are mere reflections of the demands of homogeneity-high trust and diversity-low trust societies, not reflections of good intentions.
We are also wrong in that we should support the formation of more governments into smaller polities to solve problems due to artificial or legacy borders that prevent the formation of higher trust polities. So we should support secession. The problem is that if we support secession that will be also supported at home and the ability of the government to finance playing sheriff to the world will dissipate even more quickly.
My preference is to increase awareness of the fallacy of borders/democracy and the importance of property/liberty, and to advocate separatism and secessionism at home so that we may incrementally lose the ability to project wars.
I suspect the opposite will happen: that new redistribution of economic power will cause existing large states to attempt to expand privilege (influence) and control (rents) and that the world will continue on its present course toward Huntington’s conflict.
Libertines should try to keep in mind that the purpose of the cosmopolitan movement was to retain Jewish separatism, identity, law, ethics, morality and custom, while justifying their expansion into any and all economies and walks of life, without paying the high costs of land-holding that host populations constantly pay and whose narratives place upon them so many obligations. And we also forget that that the purpose of the anglo-puritanical movement was religious anti-statism using the same jewish model, but that by divorcing it from militialism, and associating itself with more easily seduced women and socialists, that the puritanical movement could overtake academy and state and create the Cathedral.
The way to change this state of affairs, which I argue in propertarianism – I think fairly persuasively – is to return to cost, science and action from cost-evasion, belief and verbalism, and make each of us accountable for the rights that we must pay for in order to possess them.
Learn: Jury, Testimony, Law, Property-en-toto, and Evolutionary Strategy. The reliationship between family structure and trust; and between homogeneity and borders and trust. The relationship between trust and economic velocity. The relationship between the evolution of free riding, the rate of evolution of law, trust and economic velocity.
The relationship is between homogeneity, property, family, law, truth, trust and economic velocity.
(H/T to William T Houston for the inspiration).